By Barbara Tedlock
A distinct anthropologist–who can also be an initiated shaman–reveals the long-hidden lady roots of the world’s oldest kind of faith and drugs. here's a interesting day trip into this historic culture, from its prehistoric beginnings to the paintings of ladies shamans around the globe today.
Shamanism used to be not just humankind’s first religious and therapeutic perform, it was once initially the area of girls. this is often the declare of Barbara Tedlock’s provocative and myth-shattering e-book. Reinterpreting generations of scholarship, Tedlock–herself a professional in dreamwork, divination, and healing–explains how and why the position of girls in shamanism was once misinterpreted and suppressed, and provides a blinding array of proof, from prehistoric African rock paintings to trendy Mongolian ceremonies, for women’s shamanic powers.
Tedlock combines firsthand money owed of her personal education one of the Maya of Guatemala with the wealthy list of ladies warriors and hunters, religious courses, and prophets from many cultures and occasions. Probing the practices that distinguish lady shamanism from the far better identified male traditions, she reveals:
• the major function of physique knowledge and women’s eroticism in shamanic trance and ecstasy
• the feminine different types of dream witnessing, imaginative and prescient questing, and use of hallucinogenic drugs
• Shamanic midwifery and the non secular powers published in childbirth and per thirty days lady cycles
• Shamanic symbolism in weaving and different female arts
• Gender moving and male-female partnership in shamanic practice
Filled with illuminating tales and illustrations, the girl within the Shaman’s physique restores ladies to their crucial position within the historical past of spirituality and celebrates their carrying on with function within the around the globe resurgence of shamanism this day.