Passport Requirements

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) Passport Requirements became effective June 1, 2009, for land and sea borders. While the WHTI requires a valid passport for land and sea travel, a final ruling was issued allowing leniency for “closed-loop” cruises, i.e., sailings that both originate and terminate in the same U.S. port.

U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport. However, guest who will be traveling without a passport will need proof of citizenship such as one of the following:

  1. Original or Certified copy of a Government Issued birth certificate
    (Live Hospital Birth Certificates are not acceptable )
  2. Certificate of naturalization
  3. Passport Card
  4. Enhanced Driver’s license (EDL)

There are currently only four (4) U.S. States and four (4) Canadaian Provinces producing EDL’s.  US:  Michigan, New York, Vermont, andWashington
Canada:  British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec

In as well, to one of the above, guests will be required to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel.

Please note: Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

U.S. lawful permanent residents will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card issued by the Department of Homeland Security or other valid evidence of permanent residence status to apply for entry to United States.

Card renewal is an important matter. ARC holders (United States permanent residents) with expired cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry / reentry into the United States. If your ARC was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your card is expired, or it is about to expire, you should renew your card before you sail.

If you are holding an old edition ARC WITHOUT an expiration date, you will not be detained from entering the United States but U.S. Customs and Border Protection highly suggests that you apply for a new card before you sail.

For additional information, visit:



Other Relevant Links

Applying for a Passport

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Customs and Border Protection